Pages

August 08, 2006

Crunchy Granola

An accurate description of me? There are some who would say so.
Homemade granola has got to be one of my all time favorite breakfast foods. I've tried different flavour combinations, but I think the simplest ones tend to be the most satisfying.
It isn't exactly a low calorie breakfast cereal, but a little bit fills you up. My husband is the only one who eats big bowls full of it anyway, and he cycles 17 miles to work everyday, so it's not really a problem for him. I love to make yogurt parfaits with it - bananas, berries, or other fruit sliced into a bowl or glass, plain yogurt on top, followed by a drizzle of maple syrup and a sprinkling of granola.

Granola
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup honey
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 cup canola oil (I now use only 1/2 a cup)
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
8 cups rolled oats
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup sesame seeds
1 cup shredded coconut
3 cups chopped nuts (any combination of pecans, almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts and/or sunflower seeds)
2 cups dried fruit (any combination of dried cranberries, blueberries, cherries, raisins, apricots, etc.)

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Combine the first 7 ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring just to the boil. Place remaining ingredients (except the dried fruit) in a large bowl and stir to mix. Pour syrup over dry ingredients and stir until well mixed. Divide between two (greased) baking sheets and bake for about 20 minutes or until lightly brown (stirring halfway through). Let cool slightly before stirring in the dried fruit. Store in an airtight container.

Updated Oct. 20/2012 - We still eat this on a regular basis, but I've tweaked the recipe somewhat since the original post. I've reduced the oil to 1/2 a cup, as I can't tell the difference, and I don't see the point in wasting (or consuming) extra oil for no reason (especially if you're using the expensive organic stuff). I also bake the granola for a total of 45 minutes, adding the dried fruit after a half hour (for the final 15 minutes). I found that the granola would sometimes get sticky in storage as a result of the moisture in the fruit, and this prevents that (don't put it in for the entire 45 minutes, as it tends to burn).

Check out Sweetnicks ARF/5-A-Day Tuesdays for other healthy recipe ideas.

6 comments:

Phelan said...

I haven't braved the granola front yet. It's sounds yummy though.

Cheryl said...

Haven't braved it because it seems like a pain to make, or haven't braved it because it's a bit too "crunchy granola"?
:D

Fiber said...

I love making my own granola. It's so easy, and you can make it as healthy as possible. I haven't tried a new variation in awhile (I have 3 or 4 on my blog) but I think I'm due for another.

Cheryl said...

Fiber,
Your gingersnap granola looks amazing, I'll be trying that one!

Anonymous said...

Just made this yesterday - and it is some fantastic granola! Reminded me very much of the granola my grandma used to make. Is there any need to refrigerate or is keeping it in an airtight container sufficient?

Great Site!
Roland

Cheryl said...

Hi Roland,
I'm glad to hear that you liked the granola. It shouldn't need refrigeration, I've always just kept it in an airtight container.
Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails