Pages

October 27, 2006

Cranberry Pumpkin Muffins

I've been dying to try this recipe for Cranberry Pumpkin muffins from the moment I first spotted it (it's from my newly acquired copy of The Farmhouse Cookbook by Susan Herrmann Loomis). I was not disappointed, they were a delicious way to start our day.

The muffins are tender and fluffy, and are a delightful golden colour (it doesn't really register in the photo). They're not too sweet, and the cranberries give them a slightly tangy flavour. I think they'll quickly become a family favorite.

Cranberry Pumpkin Muffins
  • 2 cups unbleached white flour (I used half whole wheat pastry flour with good results)
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (use slightly more if using ground)
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 1/4 cups canned pumpkin puree
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, roughly chopped

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 12 cup muffin tin well.

Mix dry ingredients together; set aside. Whisk oil, eggs, pumpkin and milk together in a medium sized bowl. Add dry ingredients to the wet and stir just until combined. Fold in the walnuts and cranberries. Do not overmix. Fill prepared muffin cups 2/3 full (mine were totally full, but they didn't overflow at all).

Bake until muffins are puffed and golden and spring back when touched, 20 - 25 minutes. Check after 20 minutes, as overbaking will result in dry muffins. Let the muffins cool for at least 5 minutes before releasing them from the pan.

Makes 12 muffins.

11 comments:

Carla said...

Sounds delicious and I'm sure the colour is just lovely.

Steph said...

I love that book! It's been one of my favorites for about 10 years now. That's a very yummy recipe!

Lu said...

Cheryl, I brought my bay leaf in this morning. It looks pretty inside and now I can have fresh bay all winter in my soups and stews. I got the French Farmhouse Cookbook at the library Thursday. And, uh-oh, I HAD to purchase it on Friday at a bookstore. It is THAT good and reminds me of the foods I have eaten there.

Your muffins look superb. Today I made the Cottage Cheese Apple Pancakes and they were scrumptious.

Do you have an email link on your blog?

Thanks for the tips and sharing.

Cheryl said...

Carla - They're great, I'm sure you'd love them!

Steph - I'm starting to wish I'd bought it years ago!

Lu - Don't you hate it when you just have to buy something like that? :)
I'm glad you liked the pancakes!
I don't have an email link on there at the moment, I'll see about adding one.
Thanks!

karl said...

thanks for the recommendation on the cookbook. those muffins look yummy.

Cheryl said...

Karl - You're welcome, and thanks!

Leanne said...

I finally got around to trying these -- yum! Thanks for sharing the recipe, it's perfect for a fall morning.

Cheryl said...

Leanne - Aren't they great? I just made another batch today, too!

LisaBW said...

Those muffins look so delicious! Have you tried any other recipes from that cookbook?

Mary Raphael said...

Hello, After sifting through a few recipes that resulted from a seach not only did I have and like the ingredients in the recipe you typed out, as I was specifically looking for pumpkin cranberry using Whole Wheat--I liked the part where you referenced a book and also noted that you were courageous and used a different measure than what was exactly called for!

I am experimenting using Organic Whole Wheat Graham flour that has been sitting on the top shelf, and that actually has a date stamped of Feb. 2009.

A woman I work with made, I think dated Organic brownies, and they were gone in no time.

So, thank for being free~

I wish I can bake entirely from scratch but the chemistry of different ingredients and flours can be tricky. Little by little.

How is homeschooling going?

o.k. peace

Cheryl said...

Mary - I hope you tried these and liked them. I'm just waiting for a batch to come out of the oven as we speak (using up our halloween jack-o-lantern).
Homeschooling's going great!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails