Pages

November 15, 2006

Rainy Day Food

We've been having wicked weather lately - last week there was widespread flooding, and today we had a month's worth of rain in 12 hours, with 100 km/hr winds to boot.
Sounds like perfect soup weather to me!

This is a basic recipe for a very satisfying and creamy milk-based soup. You can vary the vegetables depending on what you have on hand.

Creamy Vegetable Soup:

  • 6 tablespoons butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 6 tablespoons flour
  • 1 cup diced celery (I often leave it out because I usually don't have it on hand - can add a bit of ground celery seed instead if desired)
  • 1 cup diced carrot
  • 1 medium potato, diced (unpeeled is fine)
  • 4 cups of chopped vegetables (can be 1 or more of broccoli, cauliflower, peas, etc.)
  • 3 cups of stock (I use organic chicken bouillon cubes)
  • 2 cups of milk
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • pepper, to taste

Melt butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Add onion and saute until tender. Add flour and stir until smooth. Gradually whisk in chicken stock and milk, stirring constantly to blend. Bring to a boil and then add the vegetables and seasonings. Reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes (stirring occasionally) until vegetables are tender. I sometimes whiz it with my immersion blender for just a few seconds to incorporate some of the vegetables (leave it chunky, though).
Serves 4 for a meal (doubles easily).

Serve with warm bread or baking soda biscuits, and stay indoors!

5 comments:

Phelan said...

Everyone and their mother's are making soup! Makes you want to break down and make some clam chowder, oh wait, I did that last night. ~grin~ I am bookmarking your soup to make later. Thank you for the recipe.

Debbie said...

When I saw this soup recipe that you posted here today, I knew it would be perfect for our dinner tonight.

We've had some pretty nasty weather down here in the US as well-- three days of rain & lots of cold wind. I really don't like this kind of weather. It's just a reminder of the cold, cold winter that's lurking around the corner.

Thanks much for sharing your recipe!

Deb

Katie said...

That soup looks delish! Thanks for posting the recipe.

Cheryl said...

Phelan - Mmm, clam chowder. I haven't had that in years.

Debbie - Bad weather seems to be the order of the day everywhere. I hope your family liked the soup!

Katie - Thanks, and you're welcome!

Carla said...

Looks fabulous! I will try it this week. Although we haven't been having the nasty weather you've had, it's been a tad chilly...and soup is just the thing I'm having a hankering for.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails