Sounds like perfect soup weather to me!
Creamy Vegetable Soup:
- 6 tablespoons butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup diced celery (I often leave it out because I usually don't have it on hand - can add a bit of ground celery seed instead if desired)
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 1 medium potato, diced (unpeeled is fine)
- 4 cups of chopped vegetables (can be 1 or more of broccoli, cauliflower, peas, etc.)
- 3 cups of stock (I use organic chicken bouillon cubes)
- 2 cups of milk
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- pepper, to taste
Melt butter in a large, heavy-bottomed pot. Add onion and saute until tender. Add flour and stir until smooth. Gradually whisk in chicken stock and milk, stirring constantly to blend. Bring to a boil and then add the vegetables and seasonings. Reduce heat and simmer for 30-40 minutes (stirring occasionally) until vegetables are tender. I sometimes whiz it with my immersion blender for just a few seconds to incorporate some of the vegetables (leave it chunky, though).
Serves 4 for a meal (doubles easily).
Serve with warm bread or baking soda biscuits, and stay indoors!