Kitchen Sink Cookies (from Martha Stewart Living Magazine) :
- 1 cup unsalted butter or non-hydrogenated margarine
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups unbleached flour (I use whole wheat pastry flour with good results)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old fashioned (rolled) oats
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
Cream butter and sugars together until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla. Add the rest of the ingredients on top of the butter and sugar mixture. Turn mixer on low and stir everything together until well combined. Drop by large rounded spoonfuls onto a cookie sheet. Flatten balls slightly with the heel of your hand.
Bake for 16-18 minutes or until lightly golden. Allow the cookies to cool on the pan for 2 minutes before removing them (this helps them hold together better). Makes about 4 dozen.
Now if you'll excuse me, I see that it's almost 4:00 - time for my tea!