I've got lots of recipes for scones and fancy biscuits, but sometimes simpler is better. This recipe is for plain old baking powder biscuits, which are cheap and easy to make, and they're equally delicious with jam or butter, alongside a cup of tea, or a steaming bowl of soup.
Baking Powder Biscuits (from Mollie Katzen's Still Life With Menu):
- 3 cups unbleached white flour (I've used half whole wheat pastry flour with good results)
- a scant 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 6 tablespoons cold butter (I also use Earth Balance spread)
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, yogurt, or sour milk (3/4 cup milk with 1 1/2 tsp. vinegar added)
There's something so comforting about warming the house on a cold winter morning with a hot oven and the smell of baking biscuits.