Pages

May 27, 2012

Cookbook Binge

One of my favourite things about our new community is the annual book sale, which benefits our tiny local library. It's makes for a great morning, sifting through the gymnasium full of books, chatting with neighbours about your respective finds, and hauling home an armload of new treasures (for a mere 50 cents to $2 per book).

As usual, my first stop was the cookbook table, and I literally came away with an armload:


I've borrowed Mad Hungry from the library countless times, so that was the first thing I snapped up.

The Girls Who Dish is a collection of recipes from female Vancouver chefs. My recipe for grilled eggplant comes from one of their later books.

I love Martha Stewart's recipes, but probably never would have picked up this copy of Entertaining if I hadn't just learned that it's the "favourite cookbook of all time" of my favourite Canadian chef, Chuck Hughes. It seemed like such an unlikely pairing that I had to check it out.

I really enjoyed reading Julie & Julia, and am hoping Cleaving will be just as entertaining.

The other books are packed with information and luscious sounding food, by authors I know I like. Maya Angelou isn't exactly known for her skills in the kitchen, but the recipes in her book are the epitome of comfort food.

The only problem now is that I have lots of work to get done, and way too many distractions...

5 comments:

LisaBW said...

Mad Hungry is one of my favorites!

Staci at Life At Cobble Hill Farm said...

I am so similar. Just love those cookbooks!! You will love Mark Bittman's book - between his books and those by Cook's Illustrated/America's Test Kitchen, those are my primary sources of food and/or inspiration. Hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

Cheryl said...

Lisa - It's fantastic; real manly man food! :)

Staci - Glad to hear you like Bittman's book. I have the vegetarian version, so I'm looking forward to reading this one. I'll have to check out your other recommendations as well. Thanks!

Alyse said...

Let us know how "Cleaving" goes. I almost bought it but didn't because the Amazon reviews say this book is basically a chronicle of Julie cheating on her husband and escaping to butchery to get over her guilt. So, I didn't buy it, but you did and I'm curious. :-0

-Alyse

Cheryl said...

Alyse - I hadn't heard that, but I'm curious to see if those opinions are accurate. I'll keep you posted!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails